You are here
Effective Livestock Production with Low use of Antibiotics
Understand disease prevention and antibiotic use in livestock production
Learn what antibiotic resistance is and how to prevent it while increasing productivity among your livestock.
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is an increasing problem worldwide and is a threat to the health of animals and humans. But there is still a need for an efficient livestock production, which requires healthy animals. In many countries, this has led to extensive and often inappropriate use of antibiotics, which may contribute to increasing antibiotic resistance. On this course, you will learn how basic disease preventive measures in combination with sensible use of antibiotics can sustain or even increase the livestock production and limit the emergence of antibiotic resistance.
What topics will you cover?
- What antibiotics are and what they are used for
- What antibiotic resistance is, how it develops and why it is a problem
- Basics of infectious disease prevention
- When and how we should use antibiotics prudently and efficiently in livestock production
- How to combine disease preventive measures and prudent use of antibiotics for livestock to sustain their health and productivity
- The economic possibilities in applying disease preventive measures